
On the 6 mile dirt road to the Homestead we like to watch for a few antelope, always fun to catch a glimpse of as they race away from people presence. One stretch of road by Mallory Springs is also the location for herds of cows which sometimes create a bottleneck on the road as they graze in the area. Earlier this summer we enjoyed seeing new calves in the herd which were comical as they skittered out of our way.
On one particular part of the road, there was a horrific smell which was so strong we couldn't believe it emmanated from one lone dead cow.
We made several jaunts to the Homestead, so coming and going on that short stretch gave a powerful blow to the olfactory senses. We observed the poor beast which was quickly being consumed b
y the myriad of flesh eating critters out in the world - probably some carrion eating birds, as well as lots of flies, miscellaneous bugs and some other creatures that crawled through the grasses for tasty dead bovine delicacies.
I was wanting to take a picture of the scene - just because - no great artistic reason. When the carcass was more lugubrious, I couldn't brave the thick, icky smell. We had observed the deterioration of mass but it was fascinating as the shape of cow was left so interestingly.
After a recent family reunion, I decided I would brave the macabre setting. Unfortunately, there wasn't much of the poor thing remaining, but enough to satisfy some odd interest.
2 comments:
Wow. There's not much left from when we first saw it. You said my posted nudity was bad, that is gross! ☺ We are sure missing the Homestead!!
Yuck! In a cool, interesting sort of way. Cool how the carcass kept it's shape. I miss the homestead!
Post a Comment